Author: Simulacrum  <nub>    64.216.33.9 Use this link if you want to link to this message and its entire thread of discussion. Post a Msg
Date: 7/27/2010 10:17:36 AM
Subject: RE: I will now make Sim cringe

I have no trouble reading this:

"This I confesse about seven yeares past, with some others of affinitie thereto, for my private exercise and satisfaction, I had at leisurable houres composed; which being communicated unto one, it became common unto many, and was by transcription succeßively corrupted untill it arrived in a most depraved copy at the presse. He that shall peruse that worke, and shall take notice of sundry particularities and personall expressions therein, will easily discerne the intention was not publik: and being a private exercise directed to my selfe, what is delivered therein was rather a memoriall unto me then an example or rule unto any other: and therefore if there bee any singularitie therein correspondent unto the private conceptions of any man, it doth not advantage them; or if dissentaneous thereunto, it no way overthrowes them."

I have no trouble because it was written before English spelling and usage were standardized. I don't expect to see modern English. I had trouble with the sign because the writer was talking about debit cards and gas pumps and was writing as if s/he had never read a book, which I don't doubt.

Your friend,
Inconvenius