Author: Simulacrum  <nub>    64.216.47.233 Use this link if you want to link to this message and its entire thread of discussion. Post a Msg
Date: 9/24/2012 7:18:02 PM
Subject: Mark of the Ninja and Giant Bomb

You know, I can't even begin to compete with the fish tank story, which is okay because I just want to register a complaint about Giant Bomb's slobbering review of Mark of the Ninja.

http://www.giantbomb.com/mark-of-the-ninja/61-37615/reviews/

You'll observe how they build it up as the greatest stealth game of all time. It does everything right because you have TOTAL CONTROL of your environment. The reason for this is that the environemnt is in experimental 2D:

The designers at Klei made things easier on themselves by smooshing Mark of the Ninja's action down to two dimensions, which naturally gives you less spatial data to process than a 3D scene and consequently helps you maintain a more confident feeling of control over everything around you. For instance, it's a lot easier to predict enemies' line of sight when they can only be facing one of two directions.

Did you get that? Facing two directions is a breakthrough.

I was about to buy this thing when I decided maybe I should watch the Quick View.

What I discovered is that the revolutionary Mark of the Ninja, which does start of the art experimentation with 2D space, is . . . a sidescroller.

GIANT BOMB GETS NO COLUMBUS DAY CARD FROM ME THIS YEAR

THAT IS FINAL

. . .

STOP THIS RETRO CRAP AND GET A JOB