Author: Simulacrum  <nub>    107.201.120.172 Use this link if you want to link to this message and its entire thread of discussion. Post a Msg
Date: 8/22/2016 12:08:19 PM
Subject: RE: The film industry now and then

Birdman was interesting. I would even say impressive for its (apparently) seamless transitions and generally good acting. Grand Budapest Hotel is one of my favorites -- outstanding. I haven't seen Sicario, but I know it's great because it has Emily Blunt.

I threw in TV and didn't talk about it. I suppose you're right, comparatively speaking. Pay TV/original content is usually quite good, though it tends to drag and call attention to its own artiness. John Turturro in The Night Of has eczema. I get it. It's a parallel plot with deep significance, etc. I get it already. No need to drag on with it. Same thing with a lot of original content series. I watched an Outcast marathon yesterday. Some of it was interesting, but mostly it was rehashed Steven King trying ot be deep and depressing. Everybody wants to make another Breaking Bad without understanding all the things that show was doing.

Anyway, yes. Old Hollywood made a ton of awful stuff, and you do see a lot of good things out now. I shouldn't have generalized so much, although why on earth Gone Baby Gone is supposed to be good I cannot figure out. I guess if you think Casey Affleck mumbling is a good thing, swell. Otherwise, it was just repackaged BBC dreariness.

So anyway, watch Miss Meadows with Katie Holmes. Also, send an affirming email to Emily Blunt. Quality movie stars need encouragement.