Author: Simulacrum  <nub>    107.201.120.172 Use this link if you want to link to this message and its entire thread of discussion. Post a Msg
Date: 6/21/2018 9:31:41 AM
Subject: RE: Moar thoughts on Fallout 76

After more research, I've learned that FO76 will be, for all intents and purposes, an MMO with no separate PVP/PVE areas. With very few exceptions, there will be no NPCs -- that is, nobody for companions or quest-giving. Settlements are not intended to be permanent and will be subject to destructible interaction by other players and AI creatures.

Basically, FO4 will be a big MMO PVP shootfest with random monsters tearing up your stuff. I haven't seen any information on a SPECIAL or perk system, but I'm pretty sure they'll be in there, which means that higher-level players will be motivated to antagonize lower-level ones.

In an interview, Pete Hines said that you can't kill a player more than once, a statement that was intended to dispel fears about spawn murders. What he didn't say was that you won't be prevented from going around killing as many people as you like. Also, I have no doubt that the kill-once rule applies only to a given session. Very likely, you can log out and return to kill a player if you want. Or you can encourage your friends to take turns killing the player. I don't think people will bother to do that, but Beth games will always have exploits.

The nuke thing seems to apply only to certain areas, such as towns, which will generate desirable resources once they've been irradiated. So people will not be able to go around nuking your tree dwelling. I think once people figure this out, they'll be less excited about the possibilities of making other people miserable.

Ultimately, this is not a Bethesda Fallout game. It's a tide-over product meant to cash in on the shooty MMO trend. Unless something changes, I do not see myself buying it.