Author: madcows  < >    73.3.171.35 Use this link if you want to link to this message and its entire thread of discussion. Post a Msg
Date: 10/25/2020 4:57:03 PM
Subject: RE: guy...

I just got my new audio setup on Friday and am currently listening to it. Wasn't too impressed at first, but the more I listen to it, the more I like it. It is only a 2 channel system tho.

At first I tried a Topping E30 DAC that sat between my TV (toslink) and my Event 20/20BAS powered monitors, just to find that at some point one of the tweeters mysteriously died. So I changed it to a Topping MX3 DAC+AMP and bought a set of Neumi BS5 bookshelf passives sitting on foam isolation wedges.

The MX3 has USB, BT, toslink, coax, and analog inputs. It has some slightly annoying quirks that I was unaware of until I got it. I just had to change how I intended to interface with it, specifically I wanted my chromecast remote to operate it, which it did with the E30, but apparently the MX3 ahas a different remote protocol, so now I just primarily control the volume coming out of the chromecast itself, and I power off the amp with the included remote.

The MX3 has a non-amplified "sub" output but no internal crossover, which is kind of stupid, but might work out to my advantage because I'll probably run it to my remaining functional powered monitor as a center channel of sorts. I haven't tried it, but I read that the headphone amp section on the MX3 is pretty good (but it doesn't disable the sub out lol).

I'm happy with the speakers. They have a real crossover and the 1" silk dome tweeters reduce listening fatigue (I HATE metal tweeters). They're also front ported so they don't have to be pressed up against a wall, but I read that if you want them up against a wall, you can block the ports which improves their performance in some ways. Bass response is better than expected despite dropping off below 100Hz. Even though they're sitting on isolation wedges, I can still feel bass in the floor. Not of particular importance, but I also find them to be pretty good looking. The most in-depth review of them can be found here:
https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/neumi_bs5/