Author: Simulacrum  <nub>    99.67.112.42 Use this link if you want to link to this message and its entire thread of discussion. Post a Msg
Date: 2/12/2021 7:03:04 AM
Subject: Thoughts on Doom Eternal music

I'm confused by the popularity of all these "When the Doom Eternal music kicks in" memes. What exactly is so interesting about it? To me, it's all right. It's the kind of serviceable soundtrack you would expect in a AAA shooter. It's nice and atmospheric, even impressive in some places, but it's nothing special.

You want special? Listen to Mick Gordon's Doom 2016 soundtrack. That is amazing. I mean genuinely, mouth-dropping amazing. I don't recall having heard anything so unique and creative. I just like to sit in the menu and listen to it. Gordon is a genius.

As I understand it, Gordon also composed Eternal's music, but it was mixed by id's audio people -- some kind of deadline not met or whatever. Well, whatever Gordon was doing with his mixing (yes, I've seen a video on it, but I don't pretend to understand it) . . . whatever he was doing was the crux of the thing, because it was not only insanely innovative; it was perfectly matched to every moment in the game.

So let me know when the Doom 2016 music kicks in. Meanwhile, I'll be diving into Eternal's lava wherever I find it.