Author: madcows  <1>    68.102.98.150 Use this link if you want to link to this message and its entire thread of discussion. Post a Msg
Date: 11/13/2021 5:41:54 AM
Subject: RE: I don't think I can do it.

I looked into microcenter hoping that I could reserve a card online, but not only can you not do that, but it's a total shit show instead. Apparently you have to make some sort of reservation, and then you get put in some lottery pool, and *if* you get offered a slot, you have to be there within 10 minutes. Given that the nearest store is in KC, and by that I mean 3 hours away, there's no chance I'm going to drive out there just to come back empty handed.

I'm pretty curious as to where the available inventory is going. I imagine that the scalpers are a fairly small slice of the pie given that availability even at scalper prices isn't that great. Obviously miners are another chunk, but I'm wondering if maybe it's datacenters that are the biggest purchasers of the chips given all the bullshit about "cloud rendering".

The pre-built PC route may have been a decent option a little while ago, but I think that door has closed since all hardware has been affected by shortages.