Author: Simulacrum  <nub>    205.209.243.42 Use this link if you want to link to this message and its entire thread of discussion. Post a Msg
Date: 6/6/2022 1:46:29 PM
Subject: the farm and V Rising

The farm is doing quite well. I've bought up more than half of the land around ELmcreek and have a net worth of almost $12 million. All of my productions are going extremely well, but I don't think I'll get into forestry. I don't know. Maybe.

As a break from planting, harvesting, and various other schleppery, I have joined ILA in a bid to take over the vampire world in V Rising. I didn't follow this game's development, so it was a surprise to me. It's not a bad Diablo clone (the artwork and atmosphere remind me more of Torchlight), but the combat is a little tricksy for a geezer with slow reflexes. I suppose this might improve over time.

The interesting thing, though, is the base-building element. There seems to be a tendency among developers such that if your game has the player running around chopping down trees and collecting stone, and if you have to eat or drink, you label it a "survival" title. I don't know why they don't call them base-building RPGs or whatever, but there you go. I like that part, as well as the way the base and gear improvement activities increase your ability to make better gear. As far as I can tell, you get more powerful as your gear levels up, so you don't have character levels but rather gear levels. Most interesting.

Anyhow, it's a clever game with a healthy following. I said I wouldn't get any more early access things, but I've made an exception here. Maybe if I stop dying stupidly, I can get somewhere in it.