Author: Simulacrum  <nub>    205.209.243.42 Use this link if you want to link to this message and its entire thread of discussion. Post a Msg
Date: 9/22/2022 7:04:08 PM
Subject: RE: Lineage of M'aiq

Although I think this video is beautifully produced and makes a persuasive case for the Rajhin theory, I can't shake the fact that M'aiq has made more than one comment about fathers and sons in his family. I don't know. Maybe he is Rajhin or some aspect of him. One thing I do know, however: not everything M'aiq says is a lie. In fact, it's questionable that he lies very much at all.

This is all very fun, but in reality I think M'aiq is just a recurrent easter egg. Beyond that, he's a repository for topics the developers have discussed while making the games. Should we have crossbows? Horses this time, or wait for the next title? Should we try dragons, and if not, should we build lore for something down the road?

M'aiq is a fun spin on the old dev log process. He is responding to audience and developer desires and suggestions. He is a cryptic "prophet" of broad and often vague design directions. Some things have been rejected. Other things are on the table. Still others will make an appearance, but the form hasn't been decided yet. Yes, boring, but I think he's an outlet for things that might have become rancorous. Or not. Maybe he's just a mascot of some kind.