Author: no  <no>    73.159.224.41 Use this link if you want to link to this message and its entire thread of discussion. Post a Msg
Date: 9/6/2023 7:29:32 AM
Subject: Starfield

It’s Fallout in Space.

The “new engine” sure feels like the old engine, with a clumsy space flight mechanic tacked con at the last minute by a junior dev. It’s a joke next to games like NMS and Elite, and that’s too bad. There was a ton of potential here.

I still LIKE the game, in the same way that I liked the newer Fallouts and to a lesser extent Skyrim and Oblivion.

The “NASA-punk” aesthetic is cool but very subtle because you rarely see equipment up close unless you go out of your way to. And many (most) of the weapons are just kinda doing their own cyberpunk/cliche factions but in space thing.

The system requirements make no sense because it’s not doing anything that Cyberpunk 2077 isn’t doing (now that it’s “fixed”). The NPC density is high, mostly generics with one liners but it’s nice that cities are, you know, full of people.

You’re strongly encouraged and in a few glitched instances required to use Fast Travel all of the time, which totally kills the “space exploration!” marketing claims right out of the gate.

Starship controls are basic and clunky and even fail to respond at times while the game is caught in some sort of internal code loop in a thread somewhere..

Lots of bugged NPC interactions but only one side quest nearly broke for me so far, nothing major.

LOTS of locations just feel empty. Some of them have tables and desks without chairs. There’s lots of locations that are just devoid of interactable/stealable props and crafting ingredients and so on, like the game is half finished.

It’s just OK. 3 stars.