Author: Simulacrum  <nub>    205.209.243.42 Use this link if you want to link to this message and its entire thread of discussion. Post a Msg
Date: 3/27/2024 2:31:00 PM
Subject: RE: PSA 2: Horizon Forbidden West on PC

Aloy has an extreme savior complex and thinks she has to do everything as fast as possible which, according to the story, she does. Erend and Varl seem pretty capable, but they just don't have the skills or obsessive craziness of Aloy. Erend is a drunk, and Varl has a hard time processing all the weird tech. She doesn't want to see them get hurt, and she doesn't have time to tend them. Even so, she feels bad about not being able to develop the kinds of friendships they want. She's an emotional mess who doesn't have time to sort out her relationships or feelings, so she just says (more often implies) that she's sorry and bugs out.

In my opinion, a lot of the puzzles and crime-solving stuff in HZD felt forced, and some of the errands/side quests weren't especially well-written. I rolled my eyes every time Aloy had to track somebody. She's still doing it in HFW, but at least it's a little better written this time. I do every errand, every side quest, explore every place I can get into because I want all the stuff, but I can sure see why someone would just want to move on.

Combat against machines is pretty much wide open in terms of play style. I suppose it's possible to avoid using bows in fights, but I guess you need at least a crappy one to do traversal puzzles and open certain things.

My main problem is that I want EVERYTHING I can get from a machine, so I'm going through a lot of healing stuff trying to tear off every circulator or power cell or whatever. I also shoot every animal I can detect in the vicinity. In short, I will probably finish my first playthrough sometime in 2026.