Author: Simulacrum  <nub>    205.209.243.42 Use this link if you want to link to this message and its entire thread of discussion. Post a Msg
Date: 4/13/2024 10:15:53 AM
Subject: RE: PSA 2: Horizon Forbidden West on PC

To me, DD2 looks kind of like a cross between Skyrim and Monster Hunter, with the player running around talking to pawns and planted NPCs in between scraps with goblins and bosses with three health bars. I'm sure there's more to it than that.

Update on Forbidden West:

The combat becomes extremely demanding once you leave the Daunt and No Man's Land. The crappy little machines always run around in groups and are harder to stealth kill than they were in Zero Dawn. The bigger machines take forever to kill and will only go down if you use status effects and dismantle them piece by piece, which can be a problem when your weapons have about half the fire power they did in HZD.

You will only survive a fight if you have perfect dodge timing, which I certainly do not. Experts say that you have to run and slide more than dodge because sliding has more i-frames. I've gotten better at doing both and have tried to use all the tips in videos, but Aloy is still getting hit quite a lot. You get punished for getting knocked down. Aloy takes a long time to recover, which gives machines more opportunities to step on her. Machines use their own status effects a lot more than they did in HZD, so Aloy is constantly burning or taking ice and acid damage. There are new status effects, including "adhesive," which slows her down and makes dodging difficult or impossible, and there's my favorite -- plasma. If you get a full dose of this, you don't immediately take damage. Instead, if you don't drink a cleansing potion, the status waits for a countdown and then explodes.

People who are good at Souls timing shouldn't have much difficulty. I'm not one of those, so I get kicked around a lot. I'm hoping time and practice will reduce Aloy's emergency room visits.