Author: Simulacrum  <nub>    205.209.243.42 Use this link if you want to link to this message and its entire thread of discussion. Post a Msg
Date: 4/17/2024 5:55:56 PM
Subject: RE: This is now a Fallout thread

like an abridged Bollywood production without the singing

Funniest line I've seen in days.

Yeah, I watched the first episode. You have to understand that I expected nothing, considering the mess they made of the Rings of Power. I think Fallout 3 and 4 had awful writing. The handling of New Vegas wasn't much better. I played the game for over 2700 hours because of the settlement building - also because at a certain point, even on Very Hard difficulty, you're so overpowered that you just go around bullying everything and everybody.

I thought the writing for the first episode of the show was far better than the source material deserved. I think they were going for that quirky black comedy that especially characterized the first games, but I really wasn't paying attention to that. The star of the Fallout series is world-building. I was just agog at how faithful these guys were to the world of the games -- the costumes, the sets, the props, right down to the most incidental things. Someone crafted this show very carefully. The introduction of the Brotherhood knights, along with the vertibirds and the blimp -- that was very impressive. The vault sets were impeccably accurate if you think of what you saw in Fallout 3 and 4. Everything worked exactly like it did in the games, and I have to be impressed by that.

I don't think I laughed a single time, so the comedy was not great, but I liked how they introduced Lucy and Maximus and gave them both "quests." I'm anxious to see how they both change. Cooper (the Walton Goggins ghoul character) didn't get enough time for development, but I'm sure the show will never tire of excessive flashbacks set alongside his current psychopathic progress.

Anyhow, I imagine they'll screw things up by about episode 3 or 4, but I'm hopeful it won't be too bad.